There was a winter storm headed our way here in Ohio. It was a very cold January day. The temperature outside was only 20 degrees.
The first thing I would do is to plan out what would happen if the electric went out or the snow storm was so server that the parents couldn’t get to the daycare to pick up their children. I would make sure ahead of time that the center would have enough supplies to get us through at least five days in case we can’t get out to get more supplies.
The main dangers for a winter storm are the electric going out. So you would be without heat and no way to cook food. I and my staff need to make sure we have a portable radio to keep updated on the weather. Also plenty of batteries for the flash lights. And if possible a generator to provide electric in at least one room. Make sure we also have plenty of blankets to keep the children warm. It would be best to put all the children in one room where there will be hopefully lights from the generator. But if no generator is available the staff will be using flashlights and battery powered lanterns.
I would also have the first aid kit and a copy of the children’s emergency contact information. That way I could keep the parents up dated on how the children are doing. If the teacher and helpers are not prepared for the winter storm the children would be at risk. Because there would not be enough food to feed them. And also by not having enough blankets the children would be cold and this may cause the children to become sick.
The number one priority is to keep the children safe and warm. And to keep the parents updated on how the children are doing and how they are feeling. Some maybe scared but the staff has to reinsure the children that everything is okay.
It was a hot July day here in Ohio. The sky was getting dark and the clouds were rolling in. The weather man said on the radio that our area was under a tornado watch. I informed the parents that if a tornado occurred that the children would be safe.
As the day went on the skies were turning darker and the wind was picking up. Then at around 2 pm the tornado siren went off while the children were sleeping.
I and my staff woke the children and took them to the basement where there is a storm cellar. The children were scared and crying. But I told them everything would be okay and they would be safe in the storm cellar. After getting the children settled and calmed down I went back up stairs to get flashlights, first aid kit and the children’s emergency contact information. I called the parents of the children to let them know that we were all safe in the storm cellar.
I and the staff had practiced with the children as to what to do in case of a tornado. We all stayed calm and everyone was safe.
The consequences of not having this disaster planned out the children and the staff could have been hurt or even killed. But thankfully the tornado went around us to the east. When the parents arrived to pick up the children they were happy to see that everyone was safe and no one was hurt. The parents also thanked the staff for being prepared for such a disaster.
Paula you seem to be well prepared incase of a snow storm. If it was snowing heavily at drop off time would you prepare the paretns and let them know they need to pick up early? Or would you just not open for the day?
ReplyDelete